Regulations For The Catholic Boys' School At Ugbrook..
8vo, 21cm, ,7,p.. Original light green paper covered stiff card wrappers. The Clifford family of Chudleigh, Devon, appear to have taken up the Catholic religion in the last quarter of the 17th century, creating the chapel of St. Cyprian on his estate as a Catholic place of worship and remains so to this day. As part of the Catholic mission at Ugbrook, a small Catholic free school was created. the precise date of founding is unclear. Lewis in A Topographical Dictionary Of England (1840); p.550, reports that in 1811 13 pupils were present and there were 34 by 1824. A separate boys school seems to have been established in the early years of the reign of Queen Victoria and offered here are the rules and regulations, created probably at the creation of the boys school. The booklet contains a blank proforma parental contract to acknowledge conformity to the regulations; an extract from the life of St. Macarius on the practice of virtue, and sixteen rules describing the curriculum; conduct, and punishment. A fine copy. COPAC returns a sole copy at BL.